Sleep better: how to make your nights restful
When we sleep, our body and psyche regenerate - so an undisturbed night's rest is of great importance for a healthy life and our well-being. According to experts, the first two to four hours are particularly deep and restful, not the often-cited sleep before midnight. About 80 percent of Germans suffer from sleep disorders such as snoring, problems falling asleep or sleeping through the night, and sleepwalking. Research distinguishes more than 50 different types of sleep problems. Three million Germans therefore turn to sleeping pills.
Is sleeping for a long time healthy?
If you sleep between six and eight hours, your body can recover optimally. Less sleep is considered unhealthy, but a permanently increased need for sleep can be an early warning signal for serious illnesses. If you sleep too little at night, you can compensate for the lack of sleep by taking a nap during the day - but it should last no more than 30 minutes. "Sleeping in" only works in the short term, in order to get by with less rest the next day. In the long term, however, the inner clock prevents this.
How too little sleep can have an effect:
- promotes obesity and its consequences
- can lead to poor concentration
- slows down physical reaction times
Are herbal sleeping pills better than synthetic ones?
If you have trouble sleeping, you should first improve your sleep hygiene or turn to natural sleeping pills. The active ingredient in synthetic products has a negative effect on deep sleep and you may become accustomed to them: At some point, the body's own messenger substances are no longer sufficient to enable you to fall asleep. In addition, side effects sometimes occur.
Herbal sleeping pills, on the other hand, promote sleep gently. They do not have such a strong effect on the body. Depending on the severity of the sleep disorder, over-the-counter sleeping pills are a useful supplement or even substitute for conventional therapy.
How important is the deep sleep phase?
While the lighter so-called REM phase serves to process the events of the day, the deep sleep phase is usually dreamless. It is there to produce growth hormones for the cells, which regenerate in this way. Processes in the brain ensure the formation of memory - deep sleep is therefore also extremely important for learning.
Alcohol is not suitable as a sleeping pill: those who reach for a glass of red wine to fall asleep more easily pay with poorer deep sleep quality.
Tips for better sleep
- The ideal sleeping temperature: 15 to 19 degrees is ideal. On hot nights, a cooling pillow is pleasant, complemented by linen or silk bed linen. In winter, bed socks, beaver bed linen or flannel pyjamas will keep you warm.v
- A supportive mattress: You will have a particularly restful sleep if your mattress gives your body enough support without sinking in. The ideal firmness level depends on your body weight: the heavier, the harder the mattress should be.
- No more mobile phone light before bedtime: The blue light from LED screens can interfere with the production of the sleep hormone melanin. A warm shower, on the other hand, is considered to promote sleep.
- Herbal sleep aids: Valerian, hops and lavender, for example, are known for their calming effect. These natural sleep aids help you to fall asleep. Practical: melatonin is even available as a spray.
Everyone seems to know that sleep is one of the most important processes in our lives. But many people do not know what healthy sleep is supposed to look like. Others wonder what they can do to improve their sleep.